Starting on the path to self improvement can be a daunting task. Where do you start? What book do you read first? How do you know if the book is right for you?
Over the last 3 years, I have been diving more and more into personal development books. I have taken the advise of others to point me in the direction to go, because I had never even considered reading a personal development book before. But since I have started, I definitely don’t want to give up. I have learned that taking the time to better myself as an entrepreneur, I am really bettering myself as a human being. You can never do enough soul searching or loving yourself.
My list below is combined between physical books and e-books.
1) My absolute favorite book is Adventures for Your Soul by Shannon Kaiser. This book has definitely made my first experience in personal development a good one. The subtitle is 21 Ways to Transform Your Habits and Reach Your Full Potential. Let me tell you, while reading that book, I wanted to jump right into action. She has an amazing way of getting your to look at yourself through her struggles and accomplishments. If you are having a hard time finding where to start, I highly recommend this book.
2) If you have followed me for a while on social media, you will know that one of my big time inspirational people is Shaun T. He has recently come out with a book entitled T is for Transformation. Shaun just has such an open and honest presence about him and he truly cares about people. You may know him from his on screen persona as a fitness guru with workouts such as Insanity, T-25, and Cize, but the way he motivates people is truly something you cannot fake. That’s why his new book will help you “dig deeper, feel stronger, and live your best life”. I am currently reading this one and again… I am IN LOVE
3) Another truly inspiring book for me was Girl Code by Cara Alwill Leyba. This is another book that takes you through her personal journey but she also interviews other women entrepreneurs and gives insights that only someone who has started where you have can give. My favorite part about this book since I love to put pen to paper, is that she gives a section at the end of each chapter for notes and take-a-ways from that chapter. She will even dive into “Extra Credit” as she calls it to look inside yourself more.
4) The next book that I picked up on the advise of a teammate of mine, is Get Over Your Damn Self by Romi Neustadt. In this book she gives you as the sub-title suggests, a No- BS Blueprint to Building a Life-Changing Business. She definitely tells it like it is and honestly gives you a “blueprint” to help you grow any business. She really digs in and helps you get over your fears.
That is my favorites list for actual hard copy books, here is my list for e-books. I listen to all my e-books on Audible. I really like Audible because I can listen to the books while I am in my car or while I am working at the computer. (All of these Audible books are also hard copy books if you prefer that as well)
1) Starting off with my favorite again, The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein. I wanted to get this as a hard copy book but I just didn’t have the time to thumb through a book, but listening to it, I think I gained more insight by listening to Gabrielle read her own words. Her passion comes through as she reads, which is even more inspiring. This book guides you on a path to connect to something higher than yourself. It doesn’t matter your particular spiritual beliefs because she reaches into your soul and helps you make a shift from fear to faith. She says that she wants to help you find a sense of power in a world that all too often makes you feel powerless.
2) Another powerful book is Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. I’m not sure why I didn’t realize this until this very moment, but she is also the author of Eat, Pray, Love. I have not read that yet, but will put it on my list to read. Anyway, Big Magic, is something that caught my eye while browsing the personal development books because the sub-title is Creative Living Beyond Fear, because I am a creative mind and soul through and through. With this super simple approach she knocks you over the head with her unique perspective and her wisdom from also being a creative soul. I will be buying this hard copy book for sure.
3) The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins was a complete game changer. If you have a hard time with procrastination or making decisions like I do, you totally want to listen to this book (or read this book). There isn’t much more I can add to this review other than that. Mel narrates it herself and truly makes you want to jump into action and change your life.
4) This next one I am only about halfway through. I started it when I was having a hard time getting my thoughts together for business and it was recommended by my teammates. You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero. The sub-title is How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life. While the book is very good and I will eventually go back and listen to the whole thing, I just didn’t finish it because of where I was at in my head. But this book has gotten high praise from many of my entrepreneur friends, so I totally suggest you check it out.
Now that you have heard some of the personal development books that I love and recommend, I hope you have a better understanding of where to start or even keep going in your journey to self improvement and bettering your life.
With all this talk of personal development, I need to tell you how incredibly excited I am to be writing my very own book for you! I have two chapters left to write and am looking forward to launching in the next month or two. If you want to get insider information on release date and more, please pop your email into the form below. I cannot wait to share my knowledge and passion with you to help you live the you are meant to live! ❤ (hint: there is a sneak peek to the cover only for people who get the emails 😍)